TuneIn

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Roger Miller on the Grand Ole Opry, Part Two

Technically, this is the wrong image, but it'll do as a placeholder

Roger Miller - "King Of The Road/Dang Me"


As I said last week:
     Today's selection comes from the record library of WCON in Cornelia, GA, where it was presumably played once, filed away, and forgotten until a few years ago, when I bought it in a stack of 50 or so Opry episodes at the J&J Flea Market in Athens.
      While neither the record nor the track listing sheet are dated, in his introduction on Program No.  231 (two weeks earlier), Bill Monroe had said that Miller would  have a TV show in the Fall, which dates this to somewhere between January and September 1966. On this episode, Roger is introduced by Hank Locklin, the host of the week. I've never found a lot of information about this syndicated version of the Opry, so I welcome any further data from you folks out there in Radioland.     These are the only appearances by Roger on the Opry that I have, but I'll probably be digging into them for some other surprises sooner or later. Don't touch that dial!

2 Comments:

phipps11 said...

thanks! -- Jon

olddaysbanjo said...

I was thrilled to discover these Roger Miller Opry recordings on your blog! After listening and downloading, I read in your comments that you found and bought a stack of 50 or so Opry episodes at a flea market. Could you post some of these? I love listening to the old Opry shows and I would dearly love to hear some of the ones you have.
Thanks,
Olddaysbanjo

add